Beef Wellington with Mushroom Duxelle
- 750g Beef fillet or 6 fillet steaks
- 250ml Beef jus
- 12 tsp Black olive tapenade
- 500g Puff pastry – cut into 12, 8 x 8cm squares
- 1 egg yolk for glaze
- 2 tbsp Milk for glaze
- 1 Onion – finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove – crushed
- 100g Button mushrooms – chopped
- 100g Chestnut mushrooms – chopped
- 10 Sprigs of thyme – leaves stripped
- 50g Butter
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Crème fraîche
- Salt & pepper
Fry the onions in the butter until soft, add mushrooms, garlic & thyme & cook for 15 minutes. Add the crème fraîche, mustard, salt & pepper & check the seasoning.
Bake the puff pastry squares for 15 minutes or until golden, having glazed half of them with a mixture of egg yolk & milk.
The mushroom duxelle and puff pastry squares can be made in advance & re-heated before serving.
Roast the beef or fry your steaks & leave the beef to rest.
In the meantime, spoon the unglazed puff pastry squares with tapenade & the warmed mushroom duxelle.
Top with beef fillet & the glazed top hat and serve with beef jus.